Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Memories of My grandma to hold on to:


My grandma passed away yesterday. I didnt get to see her. I wont get to see her funeral either. Living so far away and not being able to afford a plane ticket has destroyed me by not being able to see her. I wish i had called her more often. I knew she was old and dying, and fear of losing her, somehow froze me into not wanting to hear or see her condition because i couldnt bear to see her pain. How does that even make sense!?
So here is an incomplete list of the memories i have of her. I didnt bother to make it pretty.

  • Feeding me food separated into sections and pretending i was a tiger about to eat.
  • Sewing different clothes and mending others day and night.
  • making Malpua, cooking Appam sitting on the floor next to a portable stove.
  • Making pretend OOF! sounds when i would playfully pinch her.
  • Helping me to clean my underwear when i first got my period. Many times she would do it herself just because I was 9 years old.
  • Eating and bathing at strict times, dressing up in a fresh sari every evening at 4pm before tea time.
  • Chatting with me late night until we fell asleep. 
  • Me cuddling next to her on the bed , listening to all the Raja Rani stories she would tell me each day.
  • Making Muri Moa ( sort of like a Rice Krispy Treat but instead of marshmallows, caramel sugar was used to stick the rice puffs together.)
  • Telling me about her childhood. How she came to India from Bangladesh with her father and 4 sisters.
  • Getting married to a much older man who she didnt know.
  • Getting beaten by the same man whenever he got drunk.
  • she was always humble. Although she was sure of what she knew, she never pretended to be better than anyone else.
  • made hot food for me whenever my mom wasnt home.
  • Played Ludo with me and was merciless.
  • Enjoyed whatever music i would play, nodding her head to the beat even though she didnt understand the song or language.
  • Always ready to listen to anything i had to say. 
  • She loved me like a mother. 

3 comments:

  1. hi. been a while (awhile?). my condolences about your grandmum. hope you're coping well. it's early morning here in bombay and I couldn't sleep, so I was reading my old blog entries and remembered our inane conversations. hope you're doing well, grafx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg. i knew who you were right away... i cant tell you how much this means to me. I remember too! Seems like a whole other world away. I'm ok. How are you! are you blogging again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, not sure whether you got my reply. it's not showing up here. mail instead?

    ReplyDelete